Montana History:  Place Names (H-L)

         

 

HOME     STATE HISTORY GUIDE       STATE CONSTITUTION       BRIEF STATE HISTORY    PLACE NAMES    MONTANA PHOTOGRAPHY

Links Page 

 

 
  Select brief notes about place names throughout the state, with an emphasis on towns.

A-B, C-D, E-G, H-L, M-R, S, T-Z

Photo above on Left:  The community of Landusky is named for
Powell "Pike" Landusky, reputed to be one of the toughest rough-and-tumble fighters of the west, who was killed by Kid Curry in 1894.

Place Names of Towns and Landmarks (H-L)
County location in parenthesis; place names are towns unless indicated otherwise.

The listing below is condensed and edited from a more comprehensive list on the Montana Railroad History site (compiled from several sources, primarily The Montana Almanac 1957 edition, published by Montana State University).

For those interested in more than this cursory listing of place names, consider purchasing a copy of Montana Place Names: From Alzada to Zortman, published by the Montana Historical Society press, or visit the accompanying interactive website. Also see the 1954 article, "Montana Place Name Records," by Lucille Childears.

County location in parenthesis; place names are towns unless indicated otherwise. The listing below is condensed and edited from a more comprehensive list on the Montana Railroad History site (compiled from several sources, primarily The Montana Almanac 1957 edition, published by Montana State University).

Hall (Granite) - town and station acquired from Henry Hall
Hamen (Meagher) - station named after John Meagher, a rancher who settled in the area in 1880
Hamilton (Ravalli) - city and county, named after J.W. Hamilton (landowner) and J.T. Hamilton (surveyor)
Hanck (Judith Basin) - station & stream, named for ranch owner by that name
Hann Creek - creek named for Peter Hann, a forest ranger
Hanover (Fergus) - station, named a Massachusetts town by C.A. Goodnow of C. M.&St. Paul railway
Hardin (Big Horn) - town & county seat named in honor of Samuel Hardin by C. H. Morrill, town designer
Harlem (Blaine) - named for Haarlem in the Netherlands by the Great Northern Railway officials
Harlowton (Wheatland) - city & county seat, named for Mr. Harlow of Helena, a railroad supporter
Harrison (Madison) - station named for Henry C. Harrison, a local property owner
Hathaway (Rosebud) - station named after Major Hathaway of the United States army
Haugan (Mineral) - named for H. G. Haugan, land commissioner of C. M.& St Paul railway
Havre (Hill) - city & county seat named for French seaport Le Havre by the Great Northern Railway officials
Hawarden (Chouteau) - town named for the Iowa town, by settlers from Iowa
Hawk's home (Carter) - town named for a large hawks nest in the vicinity
Hayes (Missoula) - station named after Elizabeth Hayes, from whom Northern Pacific right of way acquired
Heckman (Wibaux) - station named for Frank Heckman, dispatcher on the Yellowstone division
Hedges (Wheatland) - post office named after ranch owner & old settler
Helena (Lewis & Clark) - city, county seat & capitol of Montana named after Helena Scott County, MN
Hellgate (Granite) - station, canyon & river named by French traders "porte de Renfer" ("gate of hell")
Helmville (Powell) - town named for Henry Helm, a pioneer settler
Henderson (Mineral) - town named for Benjamin Henderson, sawmill operator and owner of the town site
Hesper (Yellowstone) - town near Hesper ranch; Hesperus (evening star) & king of western land (myth)
Hibbard (Treasure) - station named for George W. Hibbard, passenger agent for the Chi., Mil. & St. Paul RR
Hidden Lake (Glacier) - station in Glacier National Park, formerly Garry, near a picturesque hidden lake
Highview (Silver Bow) - station, named from its location at the summit of the continental divide
Highwood (Cascade) - town, creek & mountain, probably named after high altitude trees on mountainside
Hilger (Fergus) - town named for David J. Hilger, old resident & prominent citizen of Lewistown
Hill (Hill) - county, probably named after James J. Hill, builder of Great Northern Railway from St. Paul
Hillman (Gallatin) - station on Bozeman-Menard branch, after A. J. Hillman, agent of Chi. Mil. & St. Paul RR
Hobson (Judith Basin) - town named after landowner & Lewistown banker by that name
Hodges (Dawson) - station named after Leonard H. Hodges of Northern Pacific railroad, 1882-1883
Hoffmanville (Richland) - town birthed in 1917, named after Albert Hoffman who donated land to the NP
Holland (Gallatin) - town named for a settlement of Dutch colonists
Holland Lake (Powell) - lake, named for the first settler, B. B. Holland
Holter (Lewis & Clark) - town named for A.M. Holter, prominent pioneer & resident of Helena
Hoosac (Fergus) - station named by C.A. Goodnow; tunnel named after the Hoosac Tunnel in Berkshire mts
Hoppers (Park) - station named after John Hopper, who settled in this vicinity in 1877
Hopsonville (Rosebud) - town named for a rancher who lived in the vicinity
Horr (Park) -town named for either Harry or Maj. Jos. L. Horr of the coal mines nearby
Hot Springs (Sanders) - town named for nearby hot springs
Howard (Rosebud) - town named after Gen. O. O. Howard, U.S. Army
Hoyt (Dawson) - station named after Colgate Hoyt, director of the Northern Pacific Railway, 1887-1893
Huffine (Gallatin) - station on Bozeman-Mernard branch line, named for Francis M. Huffine, early farmer
Hughes (Judith Basin) - town named for P. H. Hughes of Meagher County, co-discoverer of Barker mines
Hunter's Hot Springs (Park) - town named for Dr. A. J. Hunter, discover & promoter of the springs (1864)
Huntley (Yellowstone) - town, center of Huntley fed. irrigation project, after pioneer stockman S.S. Huntley
Huson (Missoula) - post office & store named after H. S. Huson, assistant engineer of Northern Pacific RR
Hutton (Big Horn) - town named for J. W. Hutton, old time rancher
Hysham (Treasure) - town & county seat, named after Charles Hysham, early ranchman
Intake (Dawson) - town named from the intake of the irrigation system nearby
Iron Mountain (Mineral) - station named after Iron Mt. mine, lead/zinc mine, 1888; renamed Superior
Ismay (Custer) - town named for Isabelle & Mary Peck, daughs. of George W. Peck, Chi., Mil. & St. Paul RR
Jackson (Beaverhead) - town named for Anton Jackson, the first postmaster.
Jardine (Park) - town named for A. C. Jardine, secretary of the Bear Gulch Mining Company
Jeffers (Madison) - town named for Myers D. Jeffers, an early settler
Jefferson (Jefferson) - river & county named for Pres. Thomas Jefferson; Lewis & Clark named river, 1805
Jefferson Island (Jefferson) - village & station, named for island formed by sloughs of the Jefferson River
Jenks (Richland) - station named in compliment to C.O. Jenks, vice president of the Great Northern Railway
Jens (Powell) - town named for a resident of that section, whose Christian name was Jens
John Long Mountains (Granite) - range of mountains named in honor of John Long, pioneer
Johns (Lewis & Clark) - town named for William Johns, early rancher
Jones (Fergus) - town named for William Jones, early settler
Jordon (Garfield) - town, county seat named for A. J. Jordon, 1st settler/ postmaster, Jordon family (Glendive) & W. B. Jordon (Miles City)
Josephine (Gallatin) - station named for a member of the family of R. A. Harlow, pres. of old Montana RR
Judith (Judith Basin) - river, basin, mountains; riv. named by Lewis & Clark (1805) for Judith Hancock, VA
Judith Gap (Wheatland) - town located between the Little Belt & Snowy mountains gave the place its name
Jumbo Mountain (Missoula) - mountain named for its elephant-shape
Kalispell (Flathead) - city & county seat, named for the Kalispell Indians
Kendall (Fergus) - town named for Harry T. Kendall, developer & owner of the Kendall Gold Mining Co.
Kenspur (Ravalli) - station given a composite word name, Kendall's spur, named for William J. Kendall
Kessler (Lewis & Clark) - town named for Nicholas Kessler, an honored and well known pioneer of Helena
Kevin (Toole) - town named for a dispatcher on the A. R. & I. A company railroad
Kingmont (Fallon) - station named because it is at the summit of the climb out of the little Missouri valley
Kingston (Fergus) - post office named after Joseph King, president of King Brothers Land & Livestock Co.
Kohr (Powell) - station named after Conrad Kohrs, from whom the Northern Pacific acquired right-of-way
La Marsh Creek (Deer Lodge) - creek named for a man who built a fishtrap there in the early days
La Vallie Creek (Missoula) - creek named for an old French Canadian who homestead on the creek bank
Lake (Lake) - county named after Flathead Lake comprising the northern part of the county
Lake Delmo (Jefferson) - lake named after A. Delmo, an early settler in the vicinity
Lakes Inez & Alma - named for two daughters of E. L. Wooley, railroad civil engineer & area surveyor
Lander's Fork (Lewis & Clark) - named for Frederick West Lander of the Stevens survey of 1853-1855
Landusky (Phillips) - town named for Powell "Pike" Landusky, western fighter who died violently (1894)
Lantry (Rosebud) - station named for T. H. Lantry, general superintendent of Northern Pacific Railway
Laurin (Madison) - station named after Mr. Laurin, who settled in the area in 1863
Lavina (Golden Valley) - a former settlement whose name origins are unknown
Lee (Rosebud) - town named for Lee Austin, nephew of Orson Merritt, first postmaster
Lennep (Meagher) - town named for J. J. Lane, United States Representative
Lewis & Clark (Lewis & Clark) - county named after explorers Lewis & Clark, formerly Edgerton County
Lewistown (Fergus) - former military camp, now town, named for Lieut. Col. Williams H. Lewis
Libby (Lincoln) - town named for the daughter of George Davis, early settler
Liberty (Liberty) - county named from sentiment of the inhabitants following victory in World War I
Lincoln (Lincoln) - county in northwestern Montana, probably named in honor of President Lincoln
Lindbergh Lake (Missoula) - lake name changed from Elbow Lake in honor of Col. C.A. Lindbergh in 1927
Lindsay (Dawson) - post office, named after Hon. William Lindsay, early sheep rancher & U.S. Marshall
Lindville (Roosevelt) - town named for E. A. Lund, area resident
Livingston (Park) - city & county seat, originally Clarks City, named after Charles Livingston or Johnston Livingston, both early directors of Northern Pacific Railway
Lodge Grass (Big Horn) - named after Lodge Grass Creek; Crow Indians called it Greasy Grass
Logan (Gallatin) - town formerly called Cannon house, named after Odelia Logan, holder of right-of-way
Lohman (Blaine) - town named for A.S. Lohman, town founder
Lolo (Missoula) - in Nez Perce language, "muddy water"
Lombard (Broadwater) - station & town named for A. C. Lombard, chief engineer of the Montana railroad
Lookout (Mineral) - station named for its location at the summit of the Coeur d' Alene mountains
Lorraine (Fallon) - town, name changed to Baker
Lothrop (Missoula) - station/small town, named for I. R. Lothrop, engineer of Northern Pacific RR
Loweth (Meagher) - station between Castle & Crazy mountians named for C.F. Loweth, chief engineer
Lump Gulch (Jefferson) - gulch named by Fred Jones & Wm M. Sprague (1864) for nearby gold lumps
Lupher (Flathead) - station west of Whitefish, named for engineer in charge of construction of Great No. RR Lusk (Missoula) - station named after F. S. Lusk, of Missoula
Lux (Gallatin) - station named for John T. Lux, a farmer who settled there in 1896
 

 

Montana History Net is produced by Bruce Gourley.  Photographs, except Clark signature, copyright Bruce Gourley.